I personally don’t like flat irons, blow dryers or anything that could burn my hair. I like my natural hair texture and its so easy to maintain. If you like poker straight hair and its a daily chore to maintain….then this post is for you.
Research conducted in USA by Dr. Manuel Gamez-Garcia concluded that people who frequently use hot appliances on their hair reported damage to the cortex and cuticle sheath.
- blow dryers caused mainly the formation of short longitudinal cracks at the cuticle sheath surface
- these longitudinal cracks produced by blow drying ocurred by the rapid contraction of water swollen cuticle cells as they were being dehydrated
- hot irons produced long transversal cracks,cuticle cell lifting or removal, and the formation of pores and voids inside the hair cortex
- hot irons also softened the hair proteins and distorted the hair shape
- the formation of long transversal cracks and cuticle cell lifting or removal produced by hot irons resulted as a consequence of the high levels of friction set up between hot iron and hair at high temperatures.
- No actual person’s hair was damaged as these tests were conducted in the lab with virgin hair fibres undergoing what most consider normal daily treatment with hot appliances.
Powered by Facebook Comments